Thursday, January 20, 2011

Our first training session with A Breed Apart, Inc


I've been searching for a trainer to address Amox's issues of obedience during distractions and for mental stimulation, in addition addressing Amox's possessive agression with food, attention and his things. Totally not acceptable in my book. But I knew I needed to step up the way I was handling him because he is a difficult stubborn dog, not always re-directed easily. I've visited training sessions with a few different trainers, and I always end up a bit cautious because of what I've seen.
With much trepidation I attended our first session with A Breed Apart, Inc. with Mr. Ira Hartwell in Annapolis, Md. I left stunned and amazed at how awesome of an experience it was, and more importantly how four cold hours later Amox was a whole new dog. At first I watched other dogs with their owners and saw challenging breeds, a Belgian Malinois, a Rottweiler, a herding collie, a Tosa Inu, a brindle mastiff, even an impressive little poodle. For the most part they were behaving, some seemed to have barely any issues. Some were handler issues, like me. Amox was left observing in the car anxious to come out and figure out this new arena, plus he wanted to see what I was up to.
I saw dogs walk perfectly, and I knew this was what I wanted and longed for, while still keeping a good relationship between Amox and I, having an obedient dog. Protecting his instincts as a protector and guardian, his happy fun personality, and endearing affectionate self. So I hoped he would take to this well, and that I could absorb these skills and apply them appropriately in hopes of making Amox a good spokesdog for his breed and rescue.
So when the trainer asked me to prong Amox and bring him out, I prayed within myself asking for guidance and open brain to learn all the minute details.
Amox and I initially practiced simply walking with a prong collar and a European lead, corrections and appropriate walking. There was a TON of distractions, and Amox tested the prong to the point he threw himself on the ground in protest, something he does to refuse cooperation. As well as testing my limits of embarrassment and strength, enforcing a correction that he would feel was difficult and I wanted them felt. Mr. Hartwell kept saying they (the dogs) can endure roughness, and we have to give it to them. Encouraging us women to man-handle our pooches. We've been "nice guys" long enough, it was time we used force to make ourselves heard and obeyed.
I knew this applied very much to the relationship between Amox and I, while solid, I acknowledged whole heartedly that Amox often did dominating behaviors, and "managed" me. So I knew to make the "us" work I was going to need to drastically change our world and I needed help. As the way this was going it was a ticking time bomb, and I couldn't afford the explosion.
I think my most memorable moment was when Amox did a beautiful 30 yard distance sit with an e-collar. He improved his heels and attention while we walked, stuff he did okay at home, was horrid in public. I nearly cried. I could hopefully walk my big baby monster out in public safely and well. I knew I had come to the right place for us both.
So we worked while we joined the circle, and shortly without too much effort Amox walked well just like the others while I walked stunned and proud of my monster.
He kept checking in with me. And if anything was wrong it was usually me!
So we signed in, and felt wonderful, leaving with anticipation as to what the week would bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment