Monday, January 31, 2011

Amox at the Potomac River




Prior to me picking up Toby on Saturday Amox and I went to the Potomac River and walked/jogged...well,l in all honestly Amox was frustrated with me *trying* (emphasize on trying) to walk fast/jog with him.
He LOVED it, as usual. We added a new feature to our walk which is his new dog saddle bags, they had water containers and a few odds and ends for his walk. I've figured he's going to start hauling his own stuff. I need him to get more tired then me, or work out more during our walks. I'm planning on getting him a weighted vest and/or collar to start, but I wanted to see how he'll do with wearing something. I rarely, dress dogs up, just not my thing, I never understood the purpose of it unless the dog was in extreme weather or they weren't suited to the outside environment.
Last time when we were in training, he was shivering. I do notice that Amox's coat isn't as full as other dogos I've had in the past, so I was concerned that his shivering would somehow inhibit his learning and focus during our training. But in honesty, it happened during the cool down time after the training, when we each checking in with the trainer.
After reading up some posts from other dogo owners, it may be that he needs time to adjust to this, and perhaps environmentally grow a thicker coat? Not sure about that overall yet. We'll see how the weather develops and how he does.
Otherwise when we went out to the river on Saturday, it wasn't too bad outside. He enjoyed it and got some exercise. I wish I could get up earlier in the morning and do this regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment